Basketball Code of conduct
We want to take this opportunity to put in writing our coaching philosophy and goals for your child and the team this season. As you read through this letter please make sure that my philosophy fits with your expectations of what you want for your child and how you believe the team should be run. If not, this is your opportunity to let me know.
- We believe that athletes gain confidence and a love for the game through positive feedback from parents, coaches, and other players. We try to always provide positive feedback for effort.
- We think it’s important that a coach takes more than a casual interest in our players. We strive to get to know all the players. We want them to know that we are interested in their schoolwork; we are also interested in what they have to say and more importantly, we want the players to know that their coach likes each of them as a person.
- We believe in trying to make practices fun and organized, while providing the practice and instruction that they need to improve.
- Teamwork and developing friendships is an important part of any team sport. We always try to encourage players to support each other and to always be positive towards their teammates.
- Competition is an important element of any sport and as athletes grow they naturally become more competitive. Effort and attitude is our focus. If we can achieve that, then chances are we’ll win the number of games that we are capable of winning. We will work on teaching fundamentals and skills during practice. During the game, we will provide encouragement and constructive criticism as needed.
- To help your child develop the skills necessary to be successful at this level and to prepare your child for next season.
- To have fun and have the players develop a love for the game.
- Learn about the importance of teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Give positive reinforcement based on effort rather than results.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment for all the players on the team.
Playing Time and Positions
We want to give each player an opportunity to play during the games however; all players will not receive an equal amount of playing time.
- Have fun and always give your best effort.
- We expect players to always show respect for the coaches, parents, referees and other players on the team.
- Have a positive attitude and be self-motivated. Be a role model.
- Pass all your classes; communicate any problems with grades or teachers.
- Spend time outside of practice playing basketball.
1) Please encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, and officials at every game and practice. Please cheer for your child during games, but try to keep from yelling instructions to them. Remember this is their opportunity to enjoy playing in the game. Much of the fun is lost if their mom or dad is always yelling instructions.
2) Please let us know if you have any concerns. Same holds true if your child isn’t happy about something. We want to know if there is a problem right away. Small things can cause a player to be upset. These problems can be fixed very easily if we know about them.
We are looking forward to a fun and rewarding season. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call.